Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Hello from Santa Maria

Hello,
Well I finally made it out of the MTC and into the field. I arrived here on Wednesday, October 21,2009. I landed in a tiny airport in Santa Barbara, where I met my mission president and his wife, then an hour drive up to Santa Maria where I was introduced to my companion and my new home. I guess I should back track a little. . .
During my time at the MTC I got a fever on Thursday, October 15. Due to the swine flu scare, they locked me in a room with a roommate for the duration of 5 days. The time wasn't horrible. (I think the only reason I kept my sanity was thanks to the Easter bunny and Elvis being so nice and talkative. :) ) Because I was locked in this room I missed my departure date from the MTC. I was supposed to arrive into the mission on Monday, October 19. So I was delayed and didn't get to leave till later.

Anyway, enough of that. Just wanted to let you know that I am having a wonderful time. I'm in the lovely area of Santa Maria. It is a smaller city, and I love it. The people are great here. I've never been so well fed. Already in the short time I've been here I've seen many miracles and have been blessed. So a quick story before my email time is up. On Friday we were in a suburb of Santa Maria known as Guadalupa. My companion and I were walking to an appointment when we were very strongly told to turn around. We listened and turned around. Not really knowing where to go we headed back down a street we had just come up. While heading down this street we say a boy who had earlier been skateboarding. He was now on the ground crying and crawling to a house. My companion and I rushed over and helped him. My companion carried him and I knocked the door to alert the family. He ended up being just fine, but because we were there at the right time we were able to set up an appointment with the mother. We now will get a chance to teach here. The Lord is watching out for us. I'm very greatful for that and am happy to be here doing this work. Well, I've got to go. Until next week.

-Elder Tingey-

No comments:

Post a Comment