Monday, June 7, 2010

April 19, 2010, late post

Hello from your favorite 20 year old. It has been an interesting week. First off I would like to say I had a very memorable birthday. Started at 5:50 am, when the Stewarts (the family I live with) came into our room. They had a flashlight, a camera, a stack of pancakes with a candle in it, and a nefarious plan. They startled me out of bed and then sung happy birthday in both English and Portuguese. I blew out the candle and went back to sleep. The antics didn't stop there. They were determined to make sure I realized my birthday, which they only found out about because of the US Census. As I left our house that morning I found my bike shrink wrapped to a pole. It had a nice pink bow on it. So we left it there and went and did our weekly planning. When we returned for lunch our apartment had been filled with balloons. There was also a nice banner (made from brown paper towels you find in church dispensers) around the whole room. Plus, there was a few gifts and a stack of letters from the young men and young women in the ward. I could feel the love. It was impressive. Other fun stories.

Wednesday we were talking to a member who isn't all there. While my companion was talking to him a little girl saw us. She shouted "missionaries missionaries" and then army crawled across the grass to hand me 3 little flowers. It was a simple act, but brought a smile to my face.

Tuesday while we were tracting (knocking doors) we met some very odd people. We knocked on one door and a guy came to the window on the door. He didn't open the door he just pressed his face against it so that it was all smashed against the glass. And then in this odd state he just stared at me. It was odd and I wasn't quite sure how to approach the situation. So I did my invite and he just (with his face still pressed on the glass) shook his head. It was odd. Then a few doors down we knocked again. This time a lady answered the door. She stared at me like I was the devil himself. She let out a long sigh followed by a long winded nooooooooooo. She finished the nooooooo with "my sons not home". Then while still staring she slowly closed the door. I didn't say a word the whole time. Odd people in this world.

Overall it has been a good week. We get a special treat this week. Saturday Elder David A Bednar will be addressing us as a mission. Following that address Saturday he will be in our Stake having a stake conference. We get to hear from him twice! Woot!!! I'm excited about it.

I love you!!! Hope all is well back home.

Love,
Elder Tingey

No comments:

Post a Comment